Wednesday, September 21, 2011

[ART/ADVICE/LIFE/RANT] Do not study animation in south america

Specially in Chile...

Hi guys, Scott here with a new post having a headache over a storyboard I have to do... (I'm not complaining, it's just that the format I was given is not all that good, how am I supposed to make every single scene to last only 3 frames, there are fighting sequences too and there are moments that take 7 panels to explain!)

okay, back on to the post...

Do not study animation over here in south america for these reasons:

1) They are just starting at it... they have only been teaching this for 5 years in Chile for example. And most of the things I'm being taught I had already learnt it on my own... (50% of what I have been taught in animation was basically common sense in the first year, at least for me)

2) It's expensive as hell, and pointing out reson 1 again, you pay alot for basically nothing. Oh... and Chile is a steal too (I'm going to owe 200 thousand dolars to the government when I'm done with my studies... yes, the gob... why? because they are awful awful people)

3) This might be assumption, but they are teaching them to think outside the box.

but you say that's good...

No... that's not the right thought because you have to make the box bigger once you have experienced the outside of it... I'll explain what I mean with this in another blog, but you basically don't want to isolate your mind with your own ideas that not everyone is going to understand.

DON'T MAKE ANOTHER BOX OUTSIDE OF THE BOX.


4) South america doesn't have many known shows to start working on... so if you finish your studies you might even have to wait in line to enter that animating company... or you might even have to make commercials, nothing wrong with that, but that's not something I want.

And now to why I hate Chilean students over here

1) There is a extreme lack of trust and tolerance, most of my classmates enjoy anime, that's good, I hate anime a little bit but I don't care what they like or not. I'm a brony for example, but my classmates creep out of the sheer thought of liking ponies.

The day is going to come when I tell them that you must know about many kinds of animation and not only anime, even I sit down and watch anime once in a while.

My plan B is to take ponies to university and play with them... wait a minute... that won't work...

2) They are very timid and TIME-WASTERS, they are all scared of expressing themselves and some of them even tell others not to be expressive.

COME ON, Animation is a cool career to study and it's supposed to be FUN. Be happy and be a fun guy and don't fucking sit in the staircase discussing anime incongruencies or which videogame you will play next. Make ideas! Be creative and sometimes random!

Take something you love and make it a cartoon to practice... LIKE I DID:







Meet Mozilla!

I haven't seen mozilla as a cool cartoon character almost anywhere... imagine how would twitter look (kinda easy) imagine how would Chrome look!

I even like this character so much I'm quite inspired to make a TV pitch for him.


-------------------

This is what I'm going to do when I finish studies here... I'll go back to canada and I'll retake my studies in Animation because I want to be a good asset in the animation industry. I'm even thinking in not making my thesis in Chile and retake studies in Canada.


This rant is over now, see you all soon

-Scott "Sukotto" Fraser

No comments:

Post a Comment