Thursday, May 19, 2011

[ART] Music/sound/voice is emotion.

You may have one of the best stories in your life, you may have made the animation at it's top detail and fludity... in fact, you may have the best animation in your story in history...

But...

It's never going to impact people if it doesn't have emotion... this is where sound and music come in.

That's right people, if you are going into audiovisual works or if you want to make some sort of animations, pay attention.

They always tell me in animation that you must make your character express themselves with hand gestures, expressions and what not, voice acting... but I know that music is very important to describe situations or moments of high emotivity.


Watch this cutsene from zelda: the twilight princess without music. (the characters don't speak anyway, so don't worry.

And then watch it again but this time with the sound.

Why are the feelings stronger in the second time? it's the music.

This is why I generally love any music theme or style (except from some very specific exceptions...)

as a daily practice, I listen to some music on my walkman and I try to imagine some of my stories take place or even I make up a new one from scratch or from the music itself.

Here I give you a couple of some really well employed music/orchestra/sound examples that really make stories and tales stand-out from other that are only visually good.



This piece is from the videogame Trauma Team, what does the music transmit to you? Determination/progress are a couple of the ones it can give to you.


This is from the game Metroid: Other M, ridley's theme is already quite known which gives us the memory of the upcoming familiar boss battle, but it also fits well as a moment of tough choices and maybe a bit of tragedy.


Ah yes... the only thing that all sonic games excelt at... the soundtrack. This theme fits perfectly in the stage "Crisis city" and the music itself is quite chaotic too. Unfortunately, the gameplay of a sonic game always fails and tends to bore us out.

Also, voice is important... and I'll just mention a list of interesting voices that make their stories stand out.

Dead space 2 voices (these are good)
Starcraft 2 voices
Lion king voice actors
My little pony: Friendship is magic voice actors (they are all very good) I like ponies shutup
Simpsons voice actors (and dam... the sound effects are real and amazing too)

okay... maybe there are alot of good voice actors... let me show you an example of bad voice actingv instead from the game, house of the dead 2.


See how these don't show emotion... I'd rather turn the voice sounds OFF so that I can't hear to them.

Voice actors have the job to make the audience connect and relate somehow with fictional characters and this way they make them FEEL real.

You are trying to make people believe in your story all the time... remember this.


ANd that is mainly why music and sound is very important... also the rythm of the music is also used at times to mark the time of things.


I hope this blog entry is somewhat helpful... goodbye everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment